Business Outlook: Global Electronics Industry Supply Chain
Updated 2Q’14 Electronics Industry Growth by Sector
Charts from Custer’s “Business Outlook” webinar sponsored by SiliconExpert Technologies, are attached.
With more companies now having reported their calendar 2Q’14 financials we have updated our charts:
- Global electronic sales grew 4.4% in 2Q’14 versus 2Q’13 (Charts1 & 2). Note this is still an estimate since some large OEMs including HP, Applied Materials, Agilent and Medtronic have not yet reported.
- Growth by sector for the global electronic supply chain is given in Chart 3. Note that Charts 1-3 are updated from the Business Outlook chart set referenced above from Walt’s Thursday 8/7/14 webinar.
- A group of 9 large EMS companies reported a 0.7% sales decline in the second quarter (Chart 4). The large Taiwan-listed ODMs also had weak 2Q’14 growth (Chart 5).
- SEMI equipment growth, although still up over 18% in 2Q’14 versus 2Q’13, appears to have peaked in the current semiconductor business cycle (Chart 6).
- Chart 7, 8 and 9 show historical sales for groups of PCB process equipment, material and CCL laminate suppliers. Q’2 growth was modest.
Source: Company financials with analysis by Custer Consulting Group
Top PCB Companies Ranked by 2013 Sales
Thanks to our friend and colleague Dr. Hayao Nakahara, Chart 10 lists the top 25 global PCB makers in 2013. They are color-coded by region of ownership.
A much longer list with commentary will be published in the September issue of PC Design & Fabrication magazine.
Source: N.T. Information Ltd
Updated June U.S. Electronics Data
The U.S. “Factory Orders” report for June was just released by the Department of Commerce. Here are a few highlights:
- Electronic equipment orders rose further above shipments (Chart 11).
- Military (Chart 12) and electromedical, instrument and control (Chart 13) orders increased and computer equipment orders remained above shipments (Chart 14).
- Passive component orders and shipments improved (Chart 15).
Chart 16 summarizes the annualized (12/12) and 3-month (3/12) growth of the domestic electronic supply chain in June.
Hon Hai July Sales Fall to 17-month low
Hon Hai Precision Industry (Foxconn’s) July sales fell to a 17-month low. Market analysts blamed the decline on product transitions.
Hon Hai reported NT$260 billion in consolidated sales in July, down 17.9% from June 2014 and down 13.3% from July 2013.
Reportedly Apple reduced its July purchases from Hon Hai in anticipation of coming new product introductions.