Total reported sales for all switch categories in Europe for Q1’13 were 15% above the previous quarter and 2% less than the first quarter of 2012. Sales units for Q1’13 came in 22% higher than units sold in Q4’12 and 1% better than Q1’12.

The total booking dollars reported for all switch categories in Europe for Q1’13 ran 21% better than the previous quarter and above Q1’12’s by 2%. The fourth quarter’s book-to-bill ratio for euros was 1.129. Booking units in Q1’13 were running 25% higher than Q4. The fourth quarter’s book-to-bill ratio for units was 1.065.

The first quarter versus the fourth shows significantly higher rates for sales euros in all but the keylock category and up 15% in total. Units increased 22% in total and all eight categories while the average selling prices (ASP) increased in half the categories but fell 6% in total. Q1 compared to a year ago shows loses in euros for five of eight categories and a 2% loss in total. Units were up 1% in total with losses in five of eight categories. ASPs decreased for six of the eight categories and were down by 3% in total.

Sales Growth by Switch Category


When compared to the last quarter total bookings were higher in euros for seven of eight categories and in total euros were up 21%. Units also moved up in seven categories and over 25% in total. The average booking price rose for only three of eight categories and fell 3% in total. Bookings in Q1 versus a year ago were up in euros for six of eight categories and 2% in total. Units were up 8% in total and for over half of the categories. The total average booking prices compared to the same period a year ago was down 6% in total and in five of the categories.

Bookings Growth by Switch Category 


The graph below shows total quarterly indexed sales and bookings in euros and units for the reported data since Q1 CY’11. Sales and booking euros set two-year highs in Q1’11 then all but sales units moved lower the next two quarters. All measures except booking euros moved lower in Q4’11 and improved in Q1 and moved lower again in Q2 and Q3’12. In Q4’12 sales continued lower as bookings improved then all measures improved nicely in Q1 of this year.

CY 2011/2013 Total Reported European
Switch Sales & Bookings Indexed
(Q1 2007 = 100) 


Book-to-bill euros generally declined to a low in Q3’11 improved the next two quarters only to move down in Q2 and Q3 of last year then improved in the last two quarters. The unit ratio fell to 0.8 in Q3’11 and recovered in Q4 and Q1 then went down the next two quarters and recovered in Q4 and Q1’13. The ABP-to-ASP ratio has been above 1.0 for the last two years.

CY 2011/2013 Total Reported European Switch Market Ratios 


For the period, indexed sales and booking prices generally trended higher but may now be turning lower.

CY 2011/2013 Total Reported European Switch Price Index
Q1 2007 = 100) 


Michael Schwert

Michael Schwert

Michael is the founder of Cumulus, Inc. He has more than 30 years of marketing and sales as well as design experience in the electronic and electrical component industry. Prior to founding Cumulus, he was Director of Marketing for Cherry Electrical Products and held other marketing management positions with Panduit, BRK Electronics, and Ideal Industries.

Cumulus provides market information and consulting services for the global electronic components industry. The company offers three publications: Switch Tracks, a quarterly report with market information on component switches; the Relay Report, a quarterly report with market information on component relays; and Market Notes, a monthly report on sales, bookings, and business conditions in the relay and switch market. Cumulus also manages projects that help leading global suppliers in the relay and switch industry to develop new products and reach new markets.

Schwert provides MarketEYE with monthly articles that include timely and accurate market information for the electromechanical component sector of the electronics industry.

View other posts from Michael Schwert.
Search MarketEYE
Partner Spotlight

Supplier speaks about the ease of working with The Specialist at TTI and how partnering with TTI was one of the best decisions they've made

Stay Updated

Enter your email address below to recieve email updates whenever we publish new content.

Material Costs