North American Relay Market Ends 2013 with Sales Down 8% and Bookings off 4% versus 2012 | TTI, Inc.

Total reported sales for all relay categories in North America for the fourth quarter of 2013 were 5% lower than reported in the previous quarter and 4% below the same quarter of 2012. Sales units for Q4 came in 5% below Q3 and 10% less than Q4’12.

The total booking dollars reported for all relay categories in North America for Q4’13 were more than the previous quarter by 5%, and down from Q4’12s total bookings of 4%. The fourth quarter’s book-to-bill ratio for dollars was 0.931. Booking units in Q4’13 ran 9% above Q3. The third quarter’s book-to-bill ratio for units was 1.039.

In the third quarter of 2013 sales were down in dollars and units for EMRs and up for SSRs with both ASPs down compared to Q3. In total, dollars and units decreased 5% while the ASP was nearly unchanged on a mix shift to higher priced product. Year-to-date dollars and units are also down for both EMR and mixed for SSR categories. Total dollars and units are down 8%. The ASP was down slightly for EMR and 12% for SSR but nearly unchanged in total.

Sales Growth by Relay Category

  Q4 Versus Q3 CY 2013 Q4 2013 Versus Q4 2012 CY 2013 Vs. CY 2012
Category Dollars Units ASP Dollars Units ASP Dollars Units ASP


-8.6% -7.2% -1.5% -7.7% -12.9% 5.9% -9.4% -8.7% -0.7%

Solid State

11.1% 78.2% -37.7% 8.4% 72.5% -37.2% -3.5% 10.2% -12.4%
Total -4.6% -4.6% 0.1% -4.3% -10.4% 6.8% -8.2% -8.1% -0.1%

Bookings moved higher in Q4 compared to Q3 for all EMR measures. SSR booked units jumped 67%. In total, booking dollars rose 5% and units moved up 9% with a 4% ABP decrease. The comparison to Q4’12 shows dollars and units up for EMRs and dollars down for SSR. All in, dollars dropped 4% with units higher by 8%. The ABP for EMRs fell 5% while SSRs dropped 56% and total lost 11%. 2013 compared to 2012 has dollars down and units up for both types. Total booking dollars are 4% less and units up 11%. The ABP is down for both categories and by 13% in total.

Bookings Growth by Relay Category

  Q4 Versus Q3 CY 2013 Q4 2013 Versus Q4 2012 CY 2013 Vs. CY 2012
Category Dollars Units ABP Dollars Units ABP Dollars Units ABP


8.9% 6.8% 2.0% 0.2% 5.7% -5.3% -3.1% 9.9% -11.8%

Solid State

-9.5% 66.7% -45.7% -19.3% 82.2% -55.7% -6.8% 30.7% -28.8%
Total 4.7% 8.7% -3.6% -4.3% 7.9% -11.4% -3.9% 10.6% -13.1%

The graph below shows total quarterly indexed sales and bookings in dollars and units for the reported data. Sales dollars and units were relatively flat the first three quarters of 2012, fell in the last quarter, held unchanged in Q1 of last year, rose in Q2, and fell in Q3 and Q4. In the first three quarters of 2012 booking dollars and units rose then fell in Q4, recovered in Q1’13, and fell off in Q2 and Q3, then rebounded in Q4.


The overall indexed selling prices have moved lower by 8% between Q1’12 and 2013 then recovered in Q2 and held steady last quarter. Indexed booking prices have decreased about 25% since Q1’12. 


Book-to-bill dollars and units trended up from Q1’12 to Q1 of last year, moved down the next two quarters, and recovered some in Q4. The ratio of average booking to selling prices has moved lower but remained at or above 1.0 until Q2 of last year. 


Michael Schwert

Michael Schwert

Michael is the founder of Cumulus, Inc. He has more than 30 years of marketing and sales as well as design experience in the electronic and electrical component industry. Prior to founding Cumulus, he was Director of Marketing for Cherry Electrical Products and held other marketing management positions with Panduit, BRK Electronics, and Ideal Industries.

Cumulus provides market information and consulting services for the global electronic components industry. The company offers three publications: Switch Tracks, a quarterly report with market information on component switches; the Relay Report, a quarterly report with market information on component relays; and Market Notes, a monthly report on sales, bookings, and business conditions in the relay and switch market. Cumulus also manages projects that help leading global suppliers in the relay and switch industry to develop new products and reach new markets.

Schwert provides MarketEYE with monthly articles that include timely and accurate market information for the electromechanical component sector of the electronics industry.  View other posts from Michael Schwert.


Statements of fact and or opinions expressed in MarketEYE by its contributors are the responsibility of the authors alone and do not imply an opinion of the officers or the representatives of TTI, Inc.

Search MarketEYE
Partner Spotlight

Supplier speaks about the ease of working with The Specialist at TTI and how partnering with TTI was one of the best decisions they've made

Stay Updated

Enter your email address below to recieve email updates whenever we publish new content.

Material Costs