Total reported sales for all switch types in Europe for Q2 of 2016 were 6% above the previous quarter and 6% better than observed in the second quarter of 2015. Sales units for Q2 2016 came in 5% more than sold in Q1 and about 4% higher than Q2 2015.

The total booking euros reported for all switch types in Europe for Q2 2016 ran 4% more than the previous quarter and above Q2 2015’s total bookings by less than 1%. The first quarter’s book-to-bill ratio for euros was 0.953. Booking units in Q2 2016 slumped 8% from Q1. The first quarter’s book-to-bill ratio for units was 0.929.

The second quarter versus the first shows higher euros for four of eight types. In total euros were up over 6% and units higher by 5%. The average selling prices (ASP) decreased in five of the eight types and were up almost 1% in total on a mix shift to higher priced switches. Q2 compared to a year ago shows gains in euros for four of eight types and a 6% rise in total. Units were up 4% in total with increases in half the types. ASPs decreased for over half of the eight types and increased 1% in total. Year to date euros were up 4% with half of the types improving. Units rose 5% in total with gains in five of eight types. The ASP was nearly unchanged with mixed results in the eight types.


When compared to the first quarter total bookings were up in euros for four of eight types and in total euros by 4%. Units shrank in the majority of types and fell 4% overall. The average booking price rose 8% in total on the strength of snap action and tact switches. Results compared to the same quarter last year has euros decreasing for many types and unchanged in total. Units fell 8% and ABP increased 9%. Year to date booking euros, units and price are nearly unchanged in total and varied by type.


The graph below shows total quarterly indexed sales and bookings in euros and units for the reported data since Q2 CY 2014. In Q1 2014 all metrics were at or near two year highs and slipped back a bit in Q2. In Q3 sales improved as bookings slipped all measures finished 2014 lower. The first half of 2015 showed recovery then bookings dropped and sales inched lower in Q3 and Q4. Q1 of this year produced a significant improvement in all metrics followed by more growth in Q2.


Book-to-bill euros and units generally declined to a low in Q4 of 2014 improved the next two quarters only to move down in Q3 of 2015 but improved a bit then slipped in Q2. The ABP-to-ASP ratio has been below 1.0 for six of the last nine quarters.


For the period, indexed booking and selling prices generally trended higher until the start of 2015 when the ASP started a slight decline and the ABP moved above and below it.


Michael Schwert

Michael Schwert

Michael is the founder of Cumulus, Inc. He has more than 30 years of marketing and sales as well as design experience in the electronic and electrical component industry. Prior to founding Cumulus, he was Director of Marketing for Cherry Electrical Products and held other marketing management positions with Panduit, BRK Electronics, and Ideal Industries.

Cumulus provides market information and consulting services for the global electronic components industry. The company offers three publications: Switch Tracks, a quarterly report with market information on component switches; the Relay Report, a quarterly report with market information on component relays; and Market Notes, a monthly report on sales, bookings, and business conditions in the relay and switch market. Cumulus also manages projects that help leading global suppliers in the relay and switch industry to develop new products and reach new markets.

Schwert provides MarketEYE with monthly articles that include timely and accurate market information for the electromechanical component sector of the electronics industry.

View other posts from Michael Schwert.
Search MarketEYE
Partner Spotlight

Supplier speaks about the ease of working with The Specialist at TTI and how partnering with TTI was one of the best decisions they've made

Stay Updated

Enter your email address below to recieve email updates whenever we publish new content.

Material Costs